Monday, June 4, 2012

My Advice To Future Seniors

1. Don't worry about taking millions of APs.  I did it. It sucks. Please learn from my mistakes.  Ok it didn't suck too too badly, they were at least classes I was remotely interested in.  My Mom warned me away from taking six and one dual, she even told my counselor to warn me off. Obviously I ignored her.  I did think about it, but there wasn't one I was willing to drop.  BUT. Lesson: millions of APs and a good SAT score will not get you into the colleges decked in ivy so don't worry about it. It's not really worth it.  I got sucked into working twenty four seven (not really, I didn't have a job even), but I got stressed out easily if I tried to pile anything extra onto what I already had. Like Lacrosse.  Senior year would have been my third on Varsity but I had to quit because I couldn't handle it.

1 1/2.More specifically: don't take AP Lit( Liess, the only good teacher, is quitting. Every other teacher gives wayyy tons of work, AP Art (24 pieces is a lot more than it sounds like, and even though I loved it and am now considering a double in art, just take art 4 or something please), AP Physics (the test is inconceivably hard. I'm not even joking. I had like perfects on all the in class quizzes/tests and I think i got 3/45 right on the multiple choice. And I'm not exaggerating. Ok maybe a tinsy bit. But it was laughably hard.) I won't say anything about comp gov.

2.  Do early admission.  Not necessarily early decision, but knowing early can ease a lot of the stress in the whole process.

3.  College: Just because you're qualified to get in, doesn't mean you will.  It's a crap shot.  More specifically, unless you cannot help but fall in love with a college the minute you step on campus, don't do it.  I know it's hard.  The guys are so cute, and the dorms are so cool, and the activities sound so fun, but they do not reciprocate your feelings in any way.  If you can help it, don't decide which one you really really love until you know which ones sent you the acceptance.You'll just get beat down.

4. Don't feel bad about lying in your application essays.  Now I don't mean saying you're Puerto Rican when you're really white, but  dont feel bad about embellishing why you love the school or what an experience really meant to you or about why you want to study a particular subject.  My brother wrote an entire essay on wanting to create Iron Man to get into the engineering school at UVA, and now he's into electric cars.  Your pride or integrity does not get you anywhere with Admissions officers.  But don't be fake.  It's a fine line.

5.  Do a class trip.  I went to France with ma art buddees. Best bonding experience ever.

6. Listen to Music.  Nuff said.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment